Thursday, February 7, 2019

No Mr. Hickernell is Not Buried in the Basement

-->
Recently, we were talking to Phyllis Bont about haunted houses in Cavendish. Mention was made of the Hickernell house. Supposedly Mr. Hickernell went missing around the same time Mrs. Hickernell had a cement floor poured in the basement. Not surprisingly, the rumor ensued that Mr. Hickernell was murdered and buried in the basement.

Phyllis was quick to reply that Mr. Hickernell had died in the garage, as her husband Dr. Gene Bont, responded to the incident.


Theresa Hickernell, who claimed to have been from Austria and educated in private schools, had issues with Gene over the funding of public schools. Needless to say, it was a bit challenging for her to have him asking what would have felt like extremely personal questions, yet they were required in order for him to render the most appropriate care. “She just said all sorts of things to people about Gene after that,” Phyllis explained. “Fortunately people knew what she was like.”

While CHS board member Bruce McEnaney, when learning of how Mr. Hickernell actually died, was disappointed to see “a perfectly good story wrecked,” he was surprised at what we were able to learn about Theresa Hickernell thanks to various leads Phyllis provided.

As it turned out, there is no evidence that Theresa Ruth Swetitch Hickernell-Smith was raised in Austria. She was born in St. Louis, Missouri on July 22, 1912 and died in St. Louis County, Minnesota Jul 22, 2003 at the age of 90.

To the stories she told of being part of the Women Air force Service Pilots (WAPS) in WWII, we found records that showed she was a trainee in the WFTD Class 43-4 being a “Washback from 43-2.” With no evidence that she graduated from the program, she was a regular contributor to the WASP Newsletter. In March 1980 she wrote the following:

"Yes, I was in the 1943 class of 43-2 at Houston Airport. From Houston, 1 flew to Goldsboro, NC, to be married to Francis Nelson Hickernell by a real Irish priest in a Catholic chapel. We had been married nine days when he was shipped overseas for four years. In the meantime, I had become associated with an accounting firm in Houston. 1 was later contacted by one of the generals in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, to do some auditing, flew to Whitehorse, stayed for two years, and really got to see the country in the rough. From there down to Seattle to some more flying - even soloed in a seaplane in Ketchikan, Alaska. Then headed for Baranoff Island, Alaska, for special work in accounting and found out how the commercial salmon industry works. Back in Seattle, I started mountain climbing in the Cascades. When the war was finally over, my husband and I met after all those years and decided upon a second honeymoon. We started out in December and ended in June, meanwhile looking for a place to settle and go into business. We decided on Richmond, VA, where we opened up a flower shop that was so successful that after we had had the shop only ten years we were able to close it regularly and do a great deal of traveling. I've been around the world nine times and have made thirteen trips to Europe. After having the shop for 20 years, we retired to Cavendish, VT.

I've climbed many of the high mountains, but the one 1 take special pride in is Mount Everest. In 1967 & 1968. 1 was a lone trekker with 8 porters, a cook, and head Sherpa. Although there was a ban on the peak, 1 was allowed to climb to 21,000 feet. 1 have 2800 feet of color film of this trek.

My husband and 1 both own a fire opal mine. We do gem hunting and go big-game sport fishing. Again this year I am trying to break the women's world record of 1170 pounds on giant blue fin tuna. Have landed many in the 900 class but I'm still trying for the big one.

These are only a small part of my adventures. I'd love to hear more about 43-2.

Sgt Francis Nelson Hickernell died on April 8, 1982, approximately two years after Theresa submitted her note to WASP Newsletter. He is buried in Lewistown Mifflin County, PA. 

Theresa would go on to marry twice more, divorcing her second husband. Her last spouse, Ralph Smith made the decision to move from Cavendish back to his hometown in Minnesota as Theresa had developed Alzheimer’s Disease and he needed help caring for her.

Theresa never had children and, if the stories are correct, probably wasn’t that enamored with them.  However, one of our favorite stories from Phyllis involved her son Geno and some of his friends.

One Halloween, with out his parents knowledge, Geno and friends sat on the edge of the Bont property starring at the Hickernell house. She called the “authorities” and couldn’t believe that it was okay for these kids to sit on their own property.

We've received a number of comments about this story as follows:

Jaybird Marino I grew up right next to her house, she used to threaten us kids and leave rat poison our dogs. One time she told me and my dad she was going to skin our dog alive in front of us.

Joseph Holmberg We were scared of her when we walked by her house after getting off the bus. She usually yelled something at us.

Laurie O’Connor: She never smiled at all.

Patrick MacGinnis: I took photos of this house which was clearly empty of occupants. After developing the film I noticed a white image of a person standing in the window looking out at me. He is still there. Protecting his precious gem collection perhaps.

Christa Rotolo:  I own the house now. I've never heard any noises or seen anything weird

Tammy Rumrill Crockwell I lived next door for 6 years never saw her outside. When I was younger I was in the church youth group and we went to her home and she was very nice, she played a small instrument sort of like a harp but very small after that I wasn't afraid of her or that house.

Scott Bemis I helped build those stone walls... Working for Boy Towle and Melvin Buck... Mr H was ok... Mrs H definitely did not like kids... If you wanted to get in trouble, just walk on their lawn....

Michelle Rumrill Old lady Hinkernell was a miserable old gal lol. I remember being a child and walking by her house when her husband had a heart attack shoveling....he wasnt burried in the basement..although I wouldn't have put it past her lol

Craig Woodell: If I remember correctly the day Theresa Hickernell died Cavendish experienced the "tornado" that caused all of the damage up through Cavendish Center.

 Heather Frye: I grew up next door, behind your house, and then bought the house on the other side of her house. She was very extrinsic, didn’t really care for kids or animals. I live in that house now. I saw on occasion.

I grew up on the other side of her and learned that she was nice as long as you were respectful of her. She even invited my parents, Sonia and myself over for Almendetto wine one night, I was probably 13 at the time! Worse stuff ever!!! We were always cordial and she even liked my boys.

Knowing Tess for many years, we always said that that microburst was Tess coming through Cavendish, one last time!!

We were invited to her house often. We always joked that we were the only kids she ever liked!

Thomas Barr She didn’t like me to start with, but after I drove my mothers car into her fence she was very angry.

Greg Bryant When we were kids we would say “Hi, nice day.” to Mr. Hickernell. He would say “Nice day for a murder”. Didn’t think he was serious. Have he was.

Susan Davis I remember one time Christmas caroling (I think the youth group from Cavendish Baptist) and she actually invited us into the house for refreshments and gave us a small tour of part of the house. I think we were there a while and she was quite pleasant. I don't remember what year it was but I think it was before Mr. Hickernell died. Does anyone else remember that?

Steve Snyder I don't remember a tour but I do remember her letting us in and she seemed really appreciative.

Carole Bont I do remember hearing about Mr. Hickernell's death in his garage.
I was also part of an earlier large group of teens who stood across the street from the back of her house while she threatened us with arrest. I believe some deputized adult came by and told us we could not go on her property. After the group of kids I was with and I left and went elsewhere, we came back by her house on our way back home and I saw that someone had covered the top of her fence with shaving cream.
  
She was her own worst enemy. If she had been remotely nice to any of us she would not have attracted our negative attention.

Howard Paul I painted her house in the early 80's, such a warm, kind, loving and giving woman, just adored my children and insisted that she pay twice the quote I gave for her house. None of this is true, of course, except that I did paint her house.

John Snarski My mother was a close friend of Mr and Mrs Hickernell. Mom told me once that Mr Hickernell had been a successful high school football coach during his working years. Could be--I never did get to visit with him, but Mrs Hickernell often visited with Mom. They collaborated on some craft type projects during the summers.

Craig Woodell I was driving on High St by Frank Guica's house and she was out walking. She turned and saw my car and continued walking down the middle of the road and made me wait until she was ready to move to the side.





















1 comment:

  1. I remember as a boy being invited to the Hickernell home where Theresa told me of her adventures in climbing Mount Everest. She had a wonderful slide show as I remember. I think that one of my brothers, probably John was there as well. Every time I drive by that majestic house I think of that. I didn't know of the tragic end of Mr. Hickernell in the garage, or of what happened to Theresa. This post was very informative to me.

    ReplyDelete