Friday, August 7, 2009

Duttonsville School Reunion August 23 1-5 PM

For over a100 years, the Duttonsville School served the town of Cavendish. In addition to its school function, the building was used for town meetings, plays and other activities as the basement contained a stage, kitchen and auditorium.

After the waters receded from the flood of 1927, the school hung over a cliff. Using horses and oxen, the building was moved on rollers several hundred feet back to a safer location. The building still sits on this location.

During the 1950’s, there was a heated campaign to consolidate all of the grade schools in Cavendish and Proctorsville into one school building in Proctorsville. Despite many meetings, votes and defeats, a new school for the Cavendish Township was finally dedicated in 1960. Duttonsville School remained opened for 12 more years, but eventually closed in the early 1970’s.

One of those most opposed to the school merger was Mary Churchill. Interestingly, Mary Churchill’s son, Dan Churchill, purchased the Duttonsville School in the 1980’s and turned the building into his home and business. Even though he has updated it considerably, the integrity of the school remains, right down to the dent in the banister from a student who fell down the stairs.

The Cavendish Historical Society is holding a reunion and open house at the Duttonsville School on August 23 from 1-5 pm. Churchill will be giving tours of the old school house on the half hour. This event is open to all. People are encouraged to bring their photographs and other memorabilia to share. The school is located on the Duttonsville School Road, just off Main Street (Route 131) in Cavendish.

For more information about this event, call 802-226-7807 or e-mail

No comments:

Post a Comment