For More information
New York Times Obituary
Nobel Prize autobiography
Cavendish will recognize the first anniversary of Irene on Aug. 26, Sunday, as follows:
• Prayer Walk: Begins at Calvary Church in Proctorsville at 3 pm and will stop at various points in Proctorsville and Cavendish. People of all faith and spiritual backgrounds are welcome, with leaders from local faith communities guiding a few moments from their traditions at each of the stops. You can walk with the group or by yourself. FMI: 226-7131
• Cavendish Historical Society’s Museum and Refreshments: The Cavendish Historical Society Museum will be the snack and water stop for those in the prayer walk. To accommodate the walkers and others who are interested in seeing the Cavendish Floods exhibit, the Museum will be open from 2-5 pm. The exhibit features pictures and other items from the 1927 flood and Irene. FMI: 226-7807 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Cavendish Irene Website: Check out the CTES fourth grade class’s website on Irene https://sites.google.com/a/wswsu.org/cavendish-flood
• Cavendish VT Facebook: This site will have photographs from Irene being posted from Friday Aug. 24 through Aug. 28.
George Baron, an instructor at West Point Military Academy, is thought to be the first American instructor to use a large black slate chalkboard, when teaching math, in 1801. By the mid-1800s, a blackboard was to be found in almost every school and had become the single most important educational tool. Chalkboards remained the primary all-around educational fixture in schoolrooms and businesses for almost 200 years.
Many rural schools used the slate material chalkboard, a labor saving device for teachers and allowing them to educate many more children at one time. However, the Cavendish Historical Society (CHS) found that not all of Cavendish’s rural schools adopted the slate chalkboard.
The Rumke School (Greenbush Rd in Cavendish) was closed in 1923. Left untouched, the property owners, Al and Diana Leonard, donated the teacher’s blackboard, to the Museum. This one room schoolhouse was still using the old method of combining un sanded grout and paint. Given the combination of Yankee thrift and lack of funds, many of the Cavendish rural one-room schoolhouses most likely used similar methods.
As part of CHS’s “Hands on History” program, on Sunday September 9, a free workshop is being offered whereby participants can make their own chalkboard and see the one from the Rumke School. The workshop begins at 2 pm.
This workshop has been made possible in part by a grant from the Cavendish Community Fund, a project of the Cavendish Community and Conservation Association (CCCA).
For more information, call 802-226-7807 or e-mail email@example.com