Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Scribbler II Fall 2013
Visit CHS at the Holiday Fair
The annual Cavendish Holiday Fair will be held at the Cavendish Town Elementary School multi purpose room on November 30. In addition to a variety of books and historical items, the Cavendish Historical Society (CHS) will have a number of interesting ornaments to reflect various aspects of Cavendish history. In addition, with the help of some of our young historians, we will be offering a Duct Tape Gift workshop, where participants can learn how to make Duct tape wallet, marshmallow blowpipe (we include the marshmallows) and a beaded bracelet. The cost of the workshop is $5 per craft or $10 for all three. We will also have the drawing of the CHS raffle that afternoon.
Honoring Our Heritage: Dia de la Muertos
In her book “Chubb Hill Farm and Cavendish Vermont: A Family and Town History, 1876-1960,” Barbara Kingsbury’s wrote in the 1994 addendum, Cavendish is not a closed society. Its history shows again and again that the town has assimilated strangers with different backgrounds and that these “strangers” have often proved asset to the community. Many who are now the “old-timers” were actually born in other places. The composition of Cavendish population is very different than it was a hundred years ago. It was more homogeneous then with a majority being farm families with English roots. Now there are people from many ethnic backgrounds, from different levels of education and income, and with a great variety of occupational and artistic skills.”
CHS’s program “Honoring our Heritage” shares the customs and traditions of the people who make up our community. This fall, we celebrate the people in our town whose heritage is South American. On November 2, CHS will be offering a free community wide Dia de la Muertos (Day of the Dead) workshop from, 3-5 pm at the Parish Hall of the Gethsemane Episcopal Church in Proctorsville.
An ancient Aztec celebration in memory of deceased ancestors, Dia de la Muertos (Day of the Dead) is celebrated on November 1 and 2. It is believed that on October 31, the gates of heaven are opened and the spirits of all deceased children are allowed to be reunited with their families for 24 hours. On November 2, the spirits of the adults come to enjoy the festivities. While celebrated throughout Latin America, it is especially popular in Mexico, where it is a national holiday.
Customs very from town to town and by region and country. In Brazil and El Salvador, on November 2, people go to church and visit cemeteries where they clean their ancestors graves and leave flowers. On November 1 in Guatemala the festival is a colorful and lively celebration for which extravagant kites (barriletes gigantes) are built and flown high above the cemeteries as a symbolic link between the living and the dead.
The workshop will include making papal picado (paper cuts), the banners that decorate many homes and streets; paper flowers; sugar skulls and more. For more information, please call 802-226-7807 or e-mail email@example.com
What’s a Lime Kiln?
This is a common question whenever we talk about the location of Phineas Gage’s accident. Close to where they were blasting for the railroad, and the tamping rod went through Gage’s head, there is the remains of a lime kiln that was built by Roswell Downer.
These kilns were used to create quicklime. By heating rocks or stone containing calcium carbonate limestone, to a temperature of 1000 C for hours up to several days, quicklime was created. This has been a key ingredient for centuries for plaster, mortar, and other types of construction materials. Watch a video of a lime kiln inaction.
When you walk through the rotunda of the National Art Gallery of Art in Washington, D. C, did you know you were walking on Cavendish? The Verde Antique marble in the floor is from the Proctorsville Quarry. It was chosen because it was a match of the columns of the rotunda, which are made of Italian Verde.
In 1836, the Black River Marble and Soapstone Manufacturing company was established for extraction of the green serpentine rock -Verde Antique. The original quarry was located on the Black River, near Winery Road at a place formerly called Hart’s Bend. It was moved to its present location, off of Twenty Mile Stream Road in 1931 when Antonio Moriglioni operated the Quarry
Moriglioni was born in France, on route to the United States from Italy. He came to Rutland, VT in the early 1900’s and discovered the Verde Antique Marble. He owned and operated the quarry until the local mill owners squeezed him out of the business during World War II. With the mills, and other area businesses having military contracts, they needed the power and viewed the quarry as a “luxury item,” and not necessary for the war effort. Moriglioni never re opened the mill. Instead he went to work in a quarry in Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada, where he died as a result of injuries he sustained from an explosion.
In 1989 the Ruby brothers, from Fair Haven, attempted to open the quarry but did not have the necessary equipment. In late 1990’s Vermont Quarries (owned by an Italian company) bought a 20-year lease to remove stone. The quarry was worked for 3-4 years and then work ceased. During this time, stone was shipped for cutting to Italy, Spain and Brazil.
Recently, members of the Moriglioni family-Lucille Moriglioni Evens, her brother James and his wife Barbara-presented the Cavendish Historical Society with pieces of the Verde Antique marble from their father's quarry. These are currently on display at the Museum.
Cavendish Mills Timeline
There have been a number of questions about the Mills in the town of Cavendish. To help answer these questions, below is a timeline.
1832: The Black River Canal and Manufacturing Company is constructed in Cavendish. It was the first stone building in town. It burned in 1873. On the Beers Atlas in 1969, it was listed as Frederick Fullerton & Co Woolen Mill.
1836: The Proctorsville Woolen Mill started. Failed in the panic of 1873-74 and was not used for three years. It was reopened with new owners in 1877 and became known as the Crescent Woolen Mill. This Mill was to undergo a number of different names and ownership as follows:
• 1890: Murdock’s Mill-A large brick addition of four stories was built and the machinery was increased to 12 sets of cards and sixty broad looms and employed 175 people
• 1927-Proctor Mill
• 1932- 1937-Black Bear Woolen Mill
Proctorsville bought the building in 1938. In the 1940’s this building was used by Proctor Reels to make furniture as well as reels. The building eventually housed Acousti-Phase, which burned in 1982. Part of the Mill area is now the Proctorsville Green.
1867: Spring Mill (known as Fitton Mill) started in 1867 and burned in 1875. The fire was thought to be arson. However, according to an article found in “The Chronicle: A Weekly Journal, Devoted to the Interests of Insurance, Manufacturing and Real Estate, Vol 16 1875 there may have been another cause, “The destruction of Fitton’s Mill at Cavendish, VT, September 6th, awakens attention to the value of woolen-mill property, and what security there is in lighting rods. This mill was a four story frame building...built in 1865...In the ten years’ service it had depreciated 36 per cent, not withstanding repairs had been regularly kept up and the structure was in profitable use. This building was flat roofed, graveled and had an unusually large array of lightening rods, one every four feet about the eaves. These were all in good order, all connecting, having been thoroughly overhauled within a year , and yet the mill was struck during a heavy storm, while the watchman was within. The flames seemed to flash instantaneously throughout the spinning room.
1887: Gay Brothers Mill opens on the site of the Black River Canal and Manufacturing Company. The Gay brothers operate the Mill until 1951 when it is sold to F.C. Hyuck and Sons, and renamed Kenwood Mills. Operations were discontinued in 1957 and the building was sold to a Rutland firm. In 1962 Mac Molding purchased the building and continues to use it for injection plastic moldings.
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: Words of Truth Change History
During one of the CHS “Hands on History” programs for students, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s experience as a Captain in the Russian Army during WWII was included along with the stories of the other Cavendish veterans. One of the students became extremely upset about how Solzhenitsyn was arrested on the front lines and imprisoned just because he wrote to a friend about his concerns with Stalin. She kept on saying “this is unfair” and had a hard time understanding that he eventually was released, wrote of his experiences and helped to free his country from communism. By showing her pictures of Solzhenitsyn living in Cavendish, his children and grand children, we were able to ease her angst.
This student’s strong reaction to Solzhenitsyn’s story was the catalyst for the writing of a children’s biography Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: Words of Truth Change History. Having a book she could read, might be a better way for her and other students to understand that Solzhenitsyn’s experience in war was literally just one chapter in a very amazing life.
The Solzhenitsyn family has been involved in the development of the book, geared for students in grades 4-7, and will include a number of new photographs. The anticipated publication date is late spring/early summer. Several grants have been written to help with the editing, layout, and marketing of the book. All proceeds will go to CHS to help with the restoration of the Stone Church and the Solzhenitsyn permanent exhibit-I Wrote and Waited.
Coordinator: Margo Caulfield
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org 802-226-7807
November 1 (Friday): Dia de la Muertos Hands on History workshop for the 5th grade students at Cavendish Town Elementary School (CTES).
November 2 (Saturday): Community wide Dia de la Muertos workshop from 3-5 at the Parish Hall of the Gethsemane Episcopal Church in Proctorsville. This is free and open to the public.
November 3 (Sunday): 85th anniversary of the 1927 Flood that caused considerable damage to Cavendish.
November 6 (Wednesday): Early Settlers Hands on History workshop for students in grades 1 and 2 at CTES
November 30 (Saturday): Cavendish Holiday Fair at CTES multi purpose room. Stop by the CHS booth.
December 11 (Wednesday): 95th birthday of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Phone Number: _____________________ E-Mail: ____________________________
__ Individual Member $10 ___ Senior Member 65+ $5 ___ Sustaining Member $500
__ Household Member $15 ___ Contributing Member $250
___ I would be interested in serving, as a volunteer .I would be interested in serving on the following committee(s):
__ Program Planning __ Fundraising __ Building (Museum)
__Archives _ Budget –– Cemetery __ Hands on History
Donations are always welcome and can be designated as follows:
__ For general purposes __ Educational Programs __Publications
__ Archeological Activities __ Museum & Archival __ Special Events
__ Rankin Fund __ Williams Fund __ Hands on History
__ Other (please specify) __ Cemetery Restoration